Jason-3 mission’s objectives are mostly the same than Jason-2, with an emphasis on:
- Data continuity for climate applications: Jason-3 should enable to reach the 30-year time.
- Contribute to “Copernicus” program, with its marine service CMEMS distributing operationally ocean data, altimetry in particular for operational applications and assimilation in ocean forecasting models such as Mercator Ocean.
- To have quality data nearer to the coasts, and over lakes and rivers.
- Ocean study,
- Climate study, seasonal forecasting (including El Niño and such phenomena),
- Wind speed and wave height measurements, in real-time for weather forecast models, and over the long term (climatologies) for studies and model improvements,
- Better knowledge of the geoid, in combination with geodetic satellites (Grace, Goce),
- Tide models improvements,